Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 1, 2014 Wanderings

I decided to venture into a part of the state I've not spent much time and decided to head toward Lake Guntersville. In searching for places to go I came across some information on High Falls Park. So I decided this would be my first stop.  I planned out the rest of the trip on Monday evening and on Tuesday, got up, did a few chores and then hit the road.

Apparently my bladder and detours are going to be a theme this summer on my wanderings!  I decided, in the interest of time, to begin the trip on the interstate.  Headed North on I 59 towards the Collinsville exit, which is where Google maps had directed me and my GPS was telling me the same thing. I was needing the bathroom pretty badly, but decided I could wait till my exit, which was 18 miles away. I know because I passed an exit that said next exit 18 miles. 18 miles, 17, miles, 16 miles,15 miles,  14 miles, 13 miles, 12 miles, 11, 10, 9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1.  Much to my dismay, a state trooper had his car blocking the exit.  Believe me, I had felt every one of those 18 miles! Next exit was about another 10 miles or so up to road. I was really beginning to get antsy!!  But, eventually I got there and disaster was averted!  A quick stop at a Pilot Gas station and I was ready to go!  My GPS had recalculated and it seemed like this way was actually more direct.

Finally arrived at High Falls Park. Not many signs or anything to tell me if there was a charge to go in.  There was an office, but no sign of life in the office. Parked next to the office was a sheriff's car, with the windows down, but I never say a deputy anywhere. Anyway, I walked down to see the falls.

There were a several walking trails with signs marking them, but I am hesitant to hike alone and it was an extremely hot day, so I decided to forgo the trails.  There were a couple signs telling about the park.






Here is a link to a webpage telling the history of High Falls.  These falls are  a 35 ft waterfall and are quite beautiful.  The park itself offers hiking trails, pavilions and picnic tables, swings and some other paly equipment for kids.










There is a fence around the bluf, so it was hard to get a good picture of the falls.  There is a pedestrian bridge up creek from the falls, so you can cross to the other side and perhaps I could have gotten better pics from the other side, but sometimes when I am alone in a remote area like that I get a little spooked.







YOu can walk out to the edge of the top of the falls, but I wouldn't get to close, as I am terrified of heights!








 After spending some time at the park I decided it was time to head to my next destination, which was Bucks Pocket State Park. I walked back up the hill to my car, still saw no sign of another human being.  Got int he car and started it up and began fooling with the GPS, when suddenly there is a tap on my window and someone says "Hey".  Scared me to death!! I rolled the window down, and the older gentleman standing by my car said "I was cleaning the bathroom when you got here." I smiled, waiting for him to continue, but he just stood there smiling.  I asked if there was a fee to get into the park, he said no, that there was a donation box. Another awkward moment of silence followed, then he asked if I liked the park.  I said yes.  He just stood there, smiling, so I said I had to get going and I did exactly that.

Next Stop was Bucks Pocket State Park.  I'm thinking I should try to go to every Alabama State Park over the next year or so. I found The park with no problem, but there was no one at the entry gate booth and signs telling where things were were somewhat limited.  I drove around, finding the campground and park office, but the office was all locked up.

 I then drove around trying to find the way up to the overlook, which I eventually found.  Upon arriving in the parking lot, a man on a motorcycle drove up.  I was a little hesitant to get out, since he was the only other person around.  But I got out of the car, and headed over towards the bluff, saying hello to him and going on.  He also walked over to the bluff and asked if I was scared to come out here all alone.  I just told him no, that I had already posted a pic of his bike and tag number to Facebook, so If I went missing, he would be the first suspect!  Totally untrue, but him asking if I was scared kinda spooked me!

The following are just a variety of pictures taken from the Bluff.

































One of the roads  in the park.






























After my visit to Bucks Pocket, I headed to Lake Guntersville State Park, yet another place I had never been. Below are  some pics from Lake Guntersville, starting with pics of the lake and then pics taken from the lodge which is up on a bluff.















 These guys were inside a fence next to the Waste Water treatment facility at the park.

























Lake Guntersville State Park has a lodge, cabins and Chalets for rent.  The cabins are near the water, the Chalets are on the bluff.  I think I would like to go stay in one of the Chalets.

I considered eating lunch in the restaurant at the lodge, but I decided against it since I usually try to eat at a mom and pop type place on my wanderings.

I got back in my car after visiting the lodge and taking pictures and picking up some literature.  I had planned to go to Scottsboro and then to Jules J. Berta Winery on the way home.  It was already 2 o'clock and Scottsboro was 30 miles one way and the Winery was 14 miles the other direction.  Because I had several things in Scottboro I wanted to do, I decided to save that for another day and decided to head to the winery.  I was hoping I would pass some small diner on the way, but no such luck.  So I arrived at the Winery still without having had lunch.

Now, Jules J. Berta Winery  is my favorite Alabama Winery.  I haven't been to all of them, simply because I have tried to complete the Alabama Wine Trail several times (I was wanting one of the commemorative glasses) but each time when I got to Jules J. Berta, I came to a complete halt. So many of the Alabama Wineries JUST have Muscadine wine. I don't have anything against Muscadine wine, I actually like it, but the wine at Jules J. Berta is so much better than any of have had at the others I have been to!  Here is a little more info about them. Here is some info about their wines.http://www.julesjbertavineyards.com/wines.php

I just realized I did not take any pictures at the winery, so here is a link to their photo gallery on the website.

I arrived and walked in to see Becky Berta behind the bar.  The first time I went to Jules J. Berta, Becky was there and I fell in love with her personality.  She is so much fun, friendly and easy to talk to.  Other times I have gone and her son Justin was working and the first time he was working I was disappointed, because I was looking forward to seeing Becky, yet he was just a fun and friendly and easy to talk to as she was.  I don't get up there as often as I wold like, but I truly enjoy their company as much as I enjoy their wine!!

This trip, I got to see both, Becky and Justin and spend time talking with each of them.  I tasted all their wine, even though I've tasted it all before, then I had a couple glasses while I sat and talked.  Justin left to take some wines to some State Stores, and I was still there talking when he returned. About 3 and a half hours after arriving at Jules J. Berta, I figured perhaps I had better head home. After all, it was after 6 O'clock and I needed to get home to the fur babies!!  To be honest though, I could have sat there and talked with them for hours longer!

So, the total cost of  my wandering, was ZERO dollars. No charges at any of the parks.  Lake Guntersville has some things that are fee based, but I didn't do any of those things. Now, I did spend money at Jules J. Berta, since I had some wine and bought three bottles. But, that really wasn't a cost of the wandering, just a cost of some wine for me! However, if you want to figure that in, the cost of today's wandering was around 50 dollars. But I don't think the wine counts as a Wandering expense!!!

I never did eat lunch, so I came on home, fed the fur babies and had a dinner of peas and roast and fresh sliced tomatoes.

I should have company on next week's wandering, if everything goes as planned.  Once again, I will be going somewhere I have never been before. My summer is half over and my wandering days are limited, but I have several other places I want to go if possible!!  I may have to do two wanderings in one week!

No comments:

Post a Comment